Remedies That Work >
Why in the world would someone use coffee in an enema?
FORM OF HYDRATION
Enemas are an ancient form of hydrotherapy. They have been used for hundreds of years for mechanically cleansing the colon. Enemas and colonic irrigation used to be routine procedures in hospitals. There are many types of enemas used for varying purposes. Coffee enemas were first popularized by Max Gerson, MD, author of A Cancer Therapy - Results of 50 Cases. Dr. Gerson pioneered nutritional therapy for cancer and other diseases with excellent results. His therapy combined coffee enemas with a special diet, juices and other supplements. The enemas were an integral part of the therapy.
Here is a short list of the many benefits of coffee enemas:
- TOXIN ELIMINATION - The major benefit of the coffee enema, he said, is to enhance elimination of toxins through the liver. Indeed, endoscopic studies confirm they increase bile output. A patient was given a coffee enema while an endoscope monitored the entrance to the common bile duct. Within minutes of administering the enema, bile flow increased. Increased bile flow also alkalinizes the small intestine and promotes improved digestion.
- CLEANSING - Coffee also acts as an astringent in the large intestine, helping clean the colon walls. A common contributor to ill health is the production and absorption of toxins within the small and large intestines. If food is not digested properly, sugars ferment and protein putrefies or rots. Both processes generate toxic chemicals which are then absorbed into the liver.
- STIMULATES BILE FLOW - The coffee enema enhances digestion by increasing bile flow and removes toxins in the large intestine so they will not be absorbed. Most people with health complaints suffer from impaired digestion and production of toxic substances in the intestines.
- STIMULATES LIVER - Coffee enemas are particularly helpful for slow oxidizers. Their liver activity is more sluggish and digestion is usually impaired. Fast oxidizers may have more difficulty retaining the enema.
HOW MUCH WATER
The procedure described below is really a coffee implant rather than an enema, because it involves only two to three cups of water. Using a quart of water may be more difficult to retain for some individuals. However, the use of a quart of water, and making sure the water reaches most of the large intestine, is more helpful for cleansing the colon of accumulated waste material. If one suspects severe bowel toxicity or in cases of serious illness, quart enemas are preferable, at least to start with.
Dr. Gerson recommended the coffee enema up to 6 times daily for severely ill cancer patients. His patients continued them for up to several years with no ill effects. I usually suggest one enema per day to assist detoxification or to enhance liver activity. Two enemas daily may be taken during a healing reaction if needed. For those who are very ill, several a day may are best for at least several months [We recommend twice a day] For best results, a program of coffee enemas should be carried on for at least a month. They should not be needed for more than two or three years, although many people have continued to take them for a number of years without problems.
The best time to take the enema is after a normal bowel movement. One will get a slight rush from the caffeine, but it is not like drinking coffee, which I do not recommend. Coffee enemas taken in the evening may interfere with sleep.
If performed properly, coffee implants do not cause habituation, constipation or any rectal problems. Difficulties occasionally arise if one has hemorrhoids. In these cases, extra care is needed in inserting the enema tip. Some people with hemorrhoids find the enemas irritating.
A small number of people are unable to retain even a cup of water for the required 15 minutes. One can start with less coffee or less water in these cases. There seems to be no harm if one wishes to retain the enema longer than 15 minutes. While enemas may seem uncomfortable, many clients report the procedure is so helpful they soon forget the inconvenience.
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO START A COFFEE ENEMA:
- AN ENEMA CONTAINER - 2-quart enema bag, plastic or stainless steel bucket with a clamp. The bags are sold at drug stores.
- ORGANIC COFFEE - Buy any brand of regular coffee - regular grind or flaked, non-instant and not decaffeinated, or grind your own coffee. Organically grown coffee is best, though any coffee will do. Organic coffee is available at natural food stores. Store opened coffee containers in the freezer for maximum freshness.
PREPARATION OF INGREDIENTS
Two methods are available and the first is best.
- BOILING METHOD - Place 2 to 3 cups of purified water and two to three tablespoons of coffee in a saucepan and bring to a boil (or use a coffee maker). Let it boil 5 minutes, then turn off the heat and allow it to cool. One or two ice cubes may be added to speed the cooling process. You may make a larger quantity and use it for several enemas. Wait until the water is comfortable to the touch. If the water is too hot or too cold, retaining the enema will be more difficult. Strain the liquid through a fine strainer or coffee filter paper into a clean enema bag. Screw on the top of the enema bag. The enema is now ready.
- NON-BOILING METHOD - Place 1 cup of ground coffee in a container with 2 cups of water. Stir the mixture thoroughly and allow it to soak overnight. (You may make a larger quantity if desired). In the morning, filter the liquid through coffee filter paper or a fine strainer. Place in a jar for storage in the refrigerator. To prepare an enema, pour 2 cups of purified water into the enema bag. Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of the coffee liquid from the jar.
- PREPARE CONTAINER HOSES - Be sure the plastic hose is pushed or fastened well onto the enema bag and the thin enema tip is attached to the other end
-REMOVE AIR - Remove any air from the enema tube the following way. Grasp but do not close the clamp on the hose. Place the tip in the sink. Hold up the enema bag above the tip until the water begins to flow out. Then close the clamp. This expels any air in the tube.
-LUBRICATE - Lubricate the enema tip with a small amount of soap or oil. We like to use castor oil.(Too much lubrication will cause the tip to fall out of the rectum, creating a mess!).
DOING THE ENEMA
- PLACE CONTAINER ABOVE - With the clamp closed, hang the bag about one foot above your abdomen or above your butt.
- POSITION - The position preferred by most people is lying on one's back on a towel, BEST POSITION, is on your hands & knees, on the bathroom floor or in the bath tub. An alternative is siting on the toilet, which does not give as much gravity feed.
- INSERT - Lubricate the tip with vaseline or a lubricant, Insert the tip gently and slowly. Move it around until it goes all the way in while laying on the bathroom floor or tub.
- OPEN FLOW - Open the clamp and hold the enema bag about one foot above the abdomen. The water may take a few seconds to begin flowing. If the water does not flow, you may gently squeeze the bag. If you develop a cramp, close the hose clamp, turn from side to side and take a few deep breaths. The cramp will usually pass quickly.
- WHEN FULL -When all the liquid is inside, the bag will become flat or the container will be empty. Close the clamp. You can leave the tube inserted, or remove it slowly.
- RETAIN THE ENEMA FOR 15 MINUTES - See below if you have difficulties with this. You may remain lying on the floor. Use the time to read a book, meditate, etc. Some people are able to get up and go lie on a towel in bed, instead of on the floor. Walking around the house with the coffee inside is not recommended.
After 15 minutes or so, go to the toilet and empty out the coffee water. It is okay if some water remains inside. If water remains inside often, you are dehydrated.
- WASH EQUIPMENT - Wash the enema bag or container and tube thoroughly.
- AFTER BOWEL MOVEMENT - If possible, do the enema after a normal bowel movement to make it easier to retain the coffee. If this is not possible, take a plain water enema first if needed, to clean out the colon.
- DEALING WITH GAS - If intestinal gas is a problem, some exercise before the enema may eliminate the gas.
- FILLING UP - It is not essential but is helpful if the water fills the entire colon. You can assist by first lying on your right side for 5 minutes, then on your back for 5 minutes, and then on your left side for 5 minutes.
- MASSAGE - While you are on the floor. Massage from bottom on left side of the abdomen, up to stomach, accross to the right, then down towards feet on the right side of your abdomen.
- LONGER TUBE - Some people attach a 30-inch colon tube to the tip of the enema tube, and insert the tube so the water will reach the right side of the colon.
- REDUCE AMOUNT OF COFFEE - If the enema makes you jittery, reduce the amount of coffee.
- EAT SOMETHING BEFORE - The enema may lower your blood sugar. If so, eat something just before or after taking the enema.
- PATIENCE - Be patient as practice makes perfect.
- TEMPERATURE - The water may be too hot or too cold. Be sure the water temperature is comfortable.
- STAY COMFORTABLE - It may help to place a small pillow or rolled up towel under your buttocks so the water flows down hill into your colon.
- ADDING MOLASSES - If trouble continues, try reducing the amount of coffee or add 2 tablespoons of blackstrap molasses to the water.
- ADDING A PROBIOTIC IMPLANT: After completing the enema you can do probiotic implant. To do this pour 4 oz. of a liquid acidophilous into the enema bag and reinsert it into the colon. Position yourself in the same position as before and massage the colon as stated above. Remove the tube and clean up the equipment. Hold the implant in as long as possible.
BASIC RESEARCH ON COFFEE ENEMAS
AFFECT ON GALLBLADDER
Coffee contains choleretics, substances that increase the flow of toxin-rich bile from the gallbladder. The coffee enema may be among the only pharmaceutically effective choleretics noted in the medical literature that can be safely used many times daily without toxic effects.
Max Gerson, M.D. founder of the Gerson Institute and Gerson Diet Therapy, recognized that coffee enema is effective in stimulating a complex enzyme system The increased activity of these enzymes ensures that free-radical activity is greatly diminished and that carcinogens are blocked. While free-radicals are normal products of metabolism, uncontrolled free-radical production plays a major role in the development of degenerative disease including cancer, heart disease and aging involved in liver detoxification (called the glutathione-S-transferase enzyme system). The activity of the glutiathione enzyme system is increased by at lease 600% above normal.
DILATION AND RELAXATION
Caffeine also stimulates dilation of blood vessels and relaxation of smooth muscle, which further increases bile flow; this effect does not happen when the coffee is consumed orally.
See: Alternative Medicine Definitive Guide to Cancer by W. John Diamond,M.D., W. Lee Cowden, M. D. and Burton Goldberg, Future Medicine Publishing INC, Tiburon, CA.
Click any of the links below to view additional pages and services offered by
" Your Body has the Answer to Your Cure" ... Roger